Format: NI Kontakt 5.7 and above
8 Microphone Perspectives
Digital download purchase: Production Grand Gold is a downloadable piano sample library. A download link is emailed shortly after purchase. The download requires an authorized preset file that is emailed within 24 hours. The download is in 30 parts consisting of just under 2 GB each.
Production Grand 2 Gold Features:
- 12 velocities pedal up samples
- 12 velocities pedal down samples
- 12 velocities release samples
- Authentic Pedalling: adds sympathetic resonance and realistic pedal control.
- Authentic hammer mechanism noises (labeled: Pre-Attack)
- User controllable recording noise for added studio realism
- Recorded with world-Class microphones: Coles, AKG, Classic U87s, B&K, Crown etc.
- Best possible A/D converters used: Burl Mothership
- Best possible microphone preamps used: API and Neve
1. Player’s Perspective: Player’s perspective that is near binaural. When you put on your headphones with this perspective, it will sound like you are there playing the piano! The player’s perspective was recorded with a Crown SASS-P MKII.
2. Hammer Microphones: I’m a big fan of hammer microphones. With the hammers recorded you will get plenty of attack and a more aggressive sound.
3. & 4. Inside Microphones: This is the sound most people associate with piano recordings. We decided on two sets of inside piano microphones: vintage Neumann U87s (they say West Germany on them!) and the modern Rode NT2As. This gives the player the ability to get that classic piano sound or the modern wider-range sound or both!
5. Outside Microphones: Just outside the piano we used really expensive Neumann M149 modern tube microphones. The engineer called these the “Golden Sound” microphones. This microphone pair has a classy sound and a more balanced tone than the inside and hammer microphones.
6. & 7. Room Microphones: In an attempt to give you modern and classic choices, we used Coles ribbon microphones and AKG C414s on the rooms. The ribbons sound like… ribbons… smooth and velvety! Ribbons take EQ well; another reason to include them. The AKGs sound true to the piano’s tone in the room.
8. Under Piano Microphone: Underneath the middle of the piano we used a PZM (pressure zone) microphone to give a clear centre image to the sound.
- Room Microphones: Coles Ribbon, AKG 414
- Hammer Mics: B&K
- Inside Mics: vintage NeumannU87, modern Rode NT2A
- Outside Piano: Neumann M149
- Piano Bottom: PZM
- Player’s Perspective: Crown SASS-P MKII for near binaural experience when played!
***Note: We used an elite studio, Phase One Studios, with very expensive equipment to get such an amazing sound! We didn’t hold back! ***
*114 GB represents the uncompressed 24 bit 44.1 kHz library before Kontakt’s lossless sample compression. The sample compression maintains all the sample detail with no loss in sound quality! Kontakt lossless compressed files compressed from 114 GB to 58 GB. Production Grand Gold performs well on modern systems (i5 and i7 Intel chips and greater) with fast 7200 rpm dedicated sample drives or SSD drives. Specifications subject to change (with or without notice) as updates and improvements are made.
PDF Production Grand 2 User Manual
- Requires NI Kontakt 5.7 or greater (not included).
- A computer that meets the minimum Kontakt requirements.
- 8 GB RAM
- 60 GB of free hard drive space for installation.
Solid State Drive or Raid Drive recommended for more than 2 microphone perspectives at one time.
Note: Compatible with the full version of Kontakt 5.6 and above only. Not for use with Kontakt Player.